18 Questions to Help You Choose a Professional Remodeling Contractor
It Can Be a Challenge to Find and Hire a Professional Contractor for Your Project. Please Use These 18 Questions to Help You Find the Right One for You
For most homeowners, the decision to renovate their home is not made very often, which means that they often don’t know what questions to ask to evaluate a contractor’s reputation, experience and service.
Unfortunately, we’ve all heard and read stories about disreputable contractors that stole homeowners’ deposits, did substandard work, or left homeowners in the lurch by disappearing in the middle of a job.
The following information is provided to assist all homeowners in evaluating and choosing a professional contractor in the Capital District area.
If you are planning to expand your living space, want to change the layout and livability of your home, renovate your kitchen, a bathroom, master bedroom, basement, or add an outdoor living space, these questions will help you. But first remember the following:
- Insist that each contractor provide their answers in writing and don’t share their answers with any other contractor. The unscrupulous or desperate contractors will, of course, say yes if you ask them, “Will you match what the other contractor agreed to do?”
- Please don’t be timid. Every quality contractor in the Capital District will be able to answer these questions and will be willing to provide their answers in writing.
- Just because someone seems nice or was referred to you does not mean that they have the experience to build your project..
- While this is not necessarily a complete list of all the questions you should ask, these questions will enable you to weed out the unethical, inflexible, and inexperienced contractors.
- You will learn a great deal about each contractor’s reputation, policies, procedures and experience just from this short list.
- For each section simply ask the questions and ask the remodeling contractor to provide the written evidence to support their answers.
1. How many home remodeling or renovation projects have you completed?
2. Will you give us a complete list of all of the businesses you have been an owner, shareholder or partner in that has been in the home improvement or home contracting business within the last 10 years? (Each owner should provide this.)
3. Have you or any of the other owners ever filed for bankruptcy for this or any other company that you owned, were a shareholder of or partnered in?
4. What type of proof of insurance and bonding will you provide?
5. How many relevant customer references will you be providing?
6. Are there any other letters of reference that you can provide?
7. What professional building and remodeling industry associations do you belong to?
Experience and Operations
8. Who will be supervising my project on a day-to-day basis?
9. Will you provide a resume of my project supervisor’s experience?
10. How many projects that are similar to mine have you completed?
11. What contingencies are included in your contract?
12. How often will you provide a complete project update?
13. How often will you complete a walkthrough with me during the project?
14. What type of scheduling program do you employ?
15. Do you have a written policy regarding tobacco, drug and alcohol use by your crews?
Service, Follow-Up and Follow-Through
16. How long is your warranty? Please explain exactly what it covers.
17. Have you ever repaired a project after the warranty expired without charging for it?
18. What is your company phone/email policy?
Make a Smart Decision
Once you ask these questions and review the contractor’s answers, the quality contractors will stand out.
Whether you are planning to expand your living space, want to change the layout and livability of your home, renovate your kitchen, a bathroom, master bedroom, basement, or add an outdoor living space, we have the experience to complete your project on time and on budget.
We will be happy to provide you with a complete copy of our Consumer Guide once we schedule our initial meeting. Razzano Homes & Remodelers sets a standard that we are proud of, and that the majority of our competitors can’t match.
We will gladly provide you with written proof of compliance with each question.